Next up, Lucca! And after that, probably Ayla. Look, I don’t know why but the ladies’ datafiles are coming to me faster than the guys’. That’s just how it is. Check out Marle if you missed it.
Solo d10 Buddy d6 Team d8
Lucca the Great!
I Think I Can Fix It
A Perfect Lady
Flames of Genius
FIRE MAGIC d10 GADGET ARSENAL d10
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target roll an extra d6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Protect. When you use Gadget Aresnal to create protection for an ally as a Support Action, step up the effect die by +1.
SFX: HypnoWave - Spend 1 PP when you use Gadget Aresnal to inflict Mental Stress on multiple enemies. Inflict the smallest remaining die in your pool on all enemies as a Complication as well.
SFX: Napalm Mega-Bombs. When you use both Fire Magic and Gadget Aresnal in an action to inflict Stress, step up or double Fire Magic. Add your smallest die (minimum d6) to the Doom Pool if your action succeeds or your largest if it fails.
SFX: Dual Tech. When you use a Flames of Genius power to create an Asset that helps an allied character in a conflict, you may replace two dice of the same size with one die +1 step larger.
Limit: Out of MP! Shut down Fire Magic to gain 1 PP. Recover by activating an Opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: WonderShot. When you use Gadget Aresnal to inflict Physical Stress, earn 1 PP before you roll. Use the highest showing die as your Effect die after you have totalled your Result.
PRISM MAIL d8 ACCESSORIES d6
SFX: Proper Precautions. Spend 1 PP to double or step up Accessories.
Limit: Risky Defense. Earn 1 PP when you do not use Prism Mail in a defensive die pool.
Limit: Gear. Shut down Accessories to gain 1 PP. Recover by activating an Opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Covert Expert d8 Medical Expert d8 Vehicle Expert d8
Tech Master d10 Science Master d10
1 XP when you spout technobabble to someone who does not have your level of expertise.
3 XP when you adopt a child orphaned by war or disaster.
10 XP when you either defend your orphanage from attack or flee and leave the children with someone else
UP AND COMING INVENTOR
1 XP when you create a Resource during a transition scene by fixing or upgrading something
3 XP when a piece of tech you created is used properly for an unintended purpose
10 XP when you accept or turn down the chance to collaborate with another inventor on an idea based on moral or ethical grounds
Thoughts on this datafile:
1) Lucca not being a Combat Expert is intentional. She uses her Accessories (think Sight Scope or Sun Shades) instead.
2) I changed the Prism Dress to Prism Mail. I don’t buy any of these ladies fighting in a dress.
3) Covert Expert comes from Lucca’s attempted jailbreak of Crono. She saves your behind if you don’t save your own. Also, few of these characters have any covert experience so if I’m going to give the Speciality to someone, it should be Lucca.
4) Since Chrono Trigger characters aren’t as high-powered as superheroes, I would consider allowing two d8 Scene Distinctions to help balance things out again. These die pools might be a bit small. On the other hand, characters like Lucca are STRONGLY encouraged to create Resources to cover that deficiency, so perhaps not. Something to think about.
5) Chrono Trigger power sets aren’t as narratively logical as proper MARVEL characters. Instead, they seem to be coming out as having one active set (weapons, powers, magic, etc) and one passive set (usually gear). I think it’s important to create it this way for the flavor of the setting, particularly Dual Techs. (Theoretically Triple Techs as well, but we have something else up our sleeves for that.) Chrono would never attack with a sword and lightning at the same time; he would attack with lightning while Frog goes into melee. Giving each character a unique Dual Tech flavor and encouraging single-weapon rolls is a big part of what I hope captures the unique Chrono feel.